Student Success Mission Statement
Student Success at the University of Kansas provides services and programs that are essential to the intellectual, cultural, physical, social and moral development of students. Student Success encourages students to realize their potential as individuals and as prepared, enlightened, responsible members of an increasingly complex and diverse global society. As a partner in the educational process at a comprehensive research and teaching university, Student Success is vital to the institution's mission to serve as a center for learning, scholarship and creative endeavor.
Student Success Values
These values comprise the foundation from which Student Success fulfills its mission at the University of Kansas.
Quality education of the whole individual is of primary importance. The integration of formal and informal learning experiences is necessary as learning and development occur inside and outside the classroom. Student Success shares responsibilities in teaching, research and public service to foster an environment that supports and encourages life-long learning. This environment promotes equity in educational opportunity and contributes to a safe, healthy and secure campus.
Student Success offers a wide range of essential services that address the needs of prospective, current and former KU students. Some services are provided to meet students' basic needs, while others divectly contribute to academic success, personal growth and career development.
Rights & Responsibilities
While students are responsible for their own lives, Student Success assists them in understanding their rights and freedoms, accepting their responsibilities and learning from the consequences of their actions. Staff members serve as advocates, ensuring that students' interests are valued and considered in all aspects of the University and the larger community.
The University fosters a multicultural environment in which the dignity and unique characteristics of the individual are recognized and respected. Student Success develops inclusive policies, programs and services that value the contributions and aspirations of individuals and groups and support the pursuit of shared purposes and values.
Collaboration among Student Success and the faculty and staff of Academic Affairs and Research, Graduate Studies and Public Service is essential. Student Success also works closely with other University, community, state, national and international agencies. An ongoing partnership with students is the foundation of these alliances. All of these collaborative efforts are essential to providing programs, services and activities that assist students in meeting their educational goals.
The mission, values and knowledge base of Student Success influence the
manner in which staff interact with individuals and groups, implement
policies and create programs and services. Student Success is committed
to the continuing education and enhancement of the professional skills
of staff members.
Student Success Goals
- To provide educational programs that support and enhance the classroom experience.
- To establish policies and programs to promote equity in opportunities and educational outcomes.
- To provide an open community life that supports students in their pursuit of knowledge.
- To conduct research pertaining to students and student life and disseminate this information within the University and to other constituents.
- To establish policies and programs that contribute to a safe, healthy and secure campus.
- To provide responsive, quality support services that enable students to successfully accomplish their academic and personal goals.
- To enhance campus life experiences by providing programs and services that meet the physical, emotional and health needs of students.
- To evaluate and improve the efficiency and effectiveness of our programs and services.
- To develop and enhance information systems and technologies to provide students with the most efficient services.
- To improve campus facilities so that supportive living, learning and working environments are provided for students and staff.
Rights and Responsibilities
- To assist students in examining and developing their beliefs and values.
- To assist students in understanding their rights, responsibilities and opportunities.
- To foster broad student involvement and participation in University life.
- To counsel students confronted with academic and personal challenges, teaching them the strategies required for progress and success.
- To provide opportunities for leadership and service on campus and in the community.
- To aggressively recruit and retain students from underrepresented groups.
- To provide opportunities designed to increase awareness, knowledge and understanding of different cultures and perspectives.
- To help students learn to recognize, understand, accept and value human similarities and differences.
- To improve integration of all students into campus life, emphasizing the understanding and appreciation of human diversity and common values.
- To assess the needs of and develop programs and services for diverse populations.
- To develop, with faculty and staff, a learning environment for the purpose of creating a true community of scholars.
- To foster collaboration within Student Success and with other University offices to provide programs and services that efficiently and effectively serve students.
- To enhance relationships with other Regents institutions to serve as effective advocates for higher education within the State of Kansas.
- To develop collegial relationships with secondary schools and community colleges, emphasizing student preparedness, transition and matriculation to the University.
- To work with the private and public sector to provide effective programs and services for students.
- To involve students in the development and implementation of our programs and services.
- To enhance the knowledge base and professional skills of Student Success staff.
- To recruit and prepare interested undergraduate and graduate students to enter the profession of Student Success.
- To encourage involvement of staff in professional organizations and activities.
- To provide and encourage leadership opportunities for Student Success staff.
- To increase Student Success financial resources for staff and services from state support as well as development campaigns.
- To improve our accountability and evaluation of human and financial resources.
Revised August 2003
The Vice Provost for Student Success provides leadership for the development and delivery of programs and services for all students at the University of Kansas. The Vice Provost also serves as an advocate for student needs within the University community. The specific functions of the Vice Provost's Office include:
- Constituent Relations: Promotes a program to ensure that students are properly served within the University and that systems are available to manage student concerns and resolve grievances.
- Program Coordination and Development: Initiates the development of new programs and services for students by the offices and departments of Student Success and with academic and administrative units in the University community.
- Systems Development: Promotes the coordination of all University-wide administrative systems and the development and use of technological support programs in the various offices and departments of Student Success.
- Communications: Ensures that information common to all units of Student Success is published and made available to the appropriate constituencies of the University.
- Personnel and Resource Development: Coordinates the selection, orientation and continuing education of Student Success employees. Secures financial resources from both public and private sources and provides budgetary control for all units within Student Success.
- Student Success Fund Raising Activities: The Office of the Vice Provost coordinates the efforts of the various offices and departments to raise private funds to support programs and services for which State funds are not available.
- The Vice Provost for Student Success supports the ongoing development of the “Raymond F. Nichols League of Former Student Leaders,” an organization of alumnae/i and friends which provide funds for leadership development programs.