Text Version   Printer Friendly Version

Alcohol Use on College Campuses
Beak 'Em Bucks™ Account
February is Financial Aid Awareness Month
Rock Chalk Revue
Student Housing Information
Tutorials for Using the Library
What Does Being on Academic Probation Mean
What's Your Major?


KU Parent Association
KU Parent Assistance Line (785) 864-5872

Please address your questions or comments to Please do not use the "Reply " key to send e-mail messages.

Remove from this List | Subscribe to this List


Vice Provost for Student Success (785) 864-4060
College of Liberal Arts & Sci. Acad. Serv. (785) 864-3500
Counseling & Psychological Services (785) 864-2277

Department of Student Housing (785) 864-4560
Office of Student Financial Aid (785) 864-4700
Office of University Registrar (785) 864-4422
Student Health Services (785) 864-9500


February 25 Last day to apply for Credit/No Credit
March 1 Last day to submit application for degree and assure inclusion in the Commencement Program
March 15-21 Spring Break (No classes, University offices open)
April 15 Last day to drop a class or withdraw from KU
May 7 Stop Day (No classes, University offices open)
May 10-14 Final Examinations
May 16 Commencement 2010
June 8 First day of Summer term classes
July 30 Last Day of Summer Term
August 19 First Day of Fall 2010 classes
September 25 Family/Band Day
October 14-17 Fall Break (No classes, University offices open)
October 23 Homecoming
December 10 Stop Day (No classes, University offices open)
December 13-17 Final Examinations
January 21, 2011 First day of Spring 2011 classes
May 22, 2011 Commencement 2011

Our colleagues at the University of Minnesota Twin Cities have developed a seminar for parents on alcohol use on college campuses. The information online is for all parents and is of benefit no matter where a student attends college. Among the many topics covered are reasons why students drink to the levels they do, communication tips for parents, as well as a drinking calendar. You can find the link to the class on the KU alcohol education website for parents at:  

A student's KU Card has the handy Beak ‘Em Bucks™ feature. This allows a student to have money on the card for spending both on and off campus. There are three ways to add money to the card and if you are an authorized user, you can add money to your student's account online. Money remaining in the account at the end of a semester will be available to the student the following semester. Cash withdrawals from this account are not allowed. To learn more about Beak ‘Em Bucks™ visit:

fafsa Now is the time to file the 2010-2011 Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) online at Students are encouraged to complete the FAFSA filing process as soon as possible since aid will not be awarded until all required additional information is received, processed, and the student’s financial aid file is complete. Priority consideration for limited funded aid programs, including the KU Tuition Grant, will be given to applications received by the federal processor by March 1, 2010. The KU Office of Student Financial Aid website is

Rock Chalk Revue is an annual campus-wide variety show that features student talent and raises funds for the United Way of Douglas County. This year’s show, “Full Speed Ahead,” will be presented March 4th, 5th, and 6th at the Lied Center. To learn more about Rock Chalk Revue or to purchase tickets online, visit:

Apply now for next year!
We would love to have your student back in Student Housing next year and contracts have been sent to them. For them, it is an opportunity for lifelong friends and memories. For parents, it is a great value — one payment covers rent, food, utilities and cable. And for both parents and students, we know on-campus housing promotes learning. We offer Academic Resource Centers, tutors, peer advisors, learning communities, and study space. Students who live on campus are more secure, get better grades, and graduate on time, even as they work through those upper-level classes. We have lots of options: apartments, private rooms, scholarship halls and more. Students have received their contracts, so complete it and turn it in to Student Housing. For information, or 785-864-4560.

Spring Break Housing
The Department of Student Housing offers housing during Spring Break in McCollum Hall for students who live in the residence halls or scholarship halls. KU residence halls and scholarship halls close for Spring Break at 2 p.m., Saturday, March 13. The last meal that day is brunch. The halls will reopen at 8 a.m., Sunday, March 21. Full meal service resumes Monday, March 22.

McCollum Hall residents who want to stay in their rooms during break should sign up at the McCollum front desk. There is no additional charge for McCollum residents who register for the break in advance.

Other residence hall and scholarship hall residents may request to stay in McCollum Hall during the break for $130 with a completed reservation.The reservation form is available at or at Department of Student Housing office in Corbin Hall.

Two-year Housing Option Discontinued
KU Student Housing has discontinued the two-year payment option so we have credited those accounts, and adjusted to reflect the single-year rate. Rates for 2010-11 are available on the contract your student has received.

watson KU Libraries Instruction Services has more than a dozen videos to help people use the many services of the library. Some of the topics include How to request an article not available at KU, How to select the appropriate source, How to evaluate the information you find on a website, and How to search E-Journals. The videos are available on the library website and on the KU Libraries You Tube channel.

No one wants to be on academic probation and it is possible to recover from that with hard work. The standards for probation are set by the College of Liberal Arts and Sciences and the professional schools. Generally, to be in good standing a student needs to have a 2.0 GPA or above, although the GPA requirement is higher for students who have more than 60 hours. In the College students must sign a probation contract with their advisor every semester until returning to good academic standing. Students on probation are dismissed if they do not earn at least a 2.0 GPA each semester. For more information about academic probation visit: To learn more about how to calculate the grade point average:

Do you ask your son or daughter “What’s your major?” or “What kind of job can you get with that major?”  Both are reasonable questions and can lead to interesting conversations between the two of you. The first year or so of college is a great time to explore different areas of study and consider unfamiliar careers. The exploration is part of the critical thinking skills that college provides. While it may be uncomfortable for you to have a student who is undecided or even changed his/her major more than once, this can lead them to academic success.

Scott Keyes is a recent college graduate and he offers an insightful perspective on finding and following your passion. We invite you to read his essay at:

Rock Chalk

jayhawk graphic



Address your questions or comments to Please do not use the
"Reply" key to send e-mail messages.

Office of the Vice Provost for Student Success
KU Parent Association | KU Alumni Association | KU Endowment Association
KU News | KU News Subscription
Remove from this List | Subscribe to this List